I’m running my first half marathon this weekend. It’s kind of weird to think that I’ve finished 2 full marathons, but have never run a half. I guess that’s opposite of most people, but well who the heck wants to be normal???
I’m running this half with two friends, Annemarie and Jane. Annemarie has finished the NYC marathon before and is getting back into the longer distances. She’s an entrepreneur and pretty darn cool so training with her has been tons of fun. This half will be Jane’s first race (of any distance) ever! I can’t believe she is starting with a half. I remember running my first 5K, being so nervous at the start and wondering if I could finish. I don’t think I would have had the guts to start with 13.1 miles. She’s already run 12 miles in training so I know she’ll handle it just fine.
In honor of my first half here is my list of the top 10 things I’m looking forward to on Sunday.
10. The 7am drive into mid-town Manhattan. I know the three of us will be talking up a storm the whole time. It will be a great way to start the day!
9. The weather- it’s supposed to be around 60 degrees at race time and slightly cloudy. That sounds like perfect weather for a long run. Keep your fingers crossed that the weatherman gets it right!
8. Wearing one of my NYC Marathon finisher shirts for the race. It may sound silly, but that little shirt gives me so much motivation. Whenever I want to stop I touch the shirt and remind myself that I’m a marathoner.
7. Running in Central Park- the Harlem Hills are a bit tough, but overall running in Central Park is downright fun. It’s a great place to relax and just run.
6. Seeing “Aunt Cathy” at least twice on the course. Since the route is two loops of Central Park I know I’ll pass her at least twice, maybe more. Cheering sections are always cool. Plus I get to have lunch with Aunt Cathy after the race is over.
5. All the other runners and spectators- I love being part of races and just seeing the other runners and hearing the spectators cheer as you run by. Each one adds something special to the day.
4. Talking with Annemarie and Jane as we run. It’s amazing how much faster 2 hours goes by when you have good company and conversation to focus on. I love running with other moms!
3. The New York Road Runners volunteers- it never ceases to amaze me how many volunteers the New York Road Runners manage to get out there for each race. These people are always helpful and make the race so much more fun. I will enjoy thanking as many of them as I can at the water stations.
2. The finish- feeling that sense of accomplishment that I always feel when I finish a run, especially a race that I’ve trained for. I know it will be even better to share it with two friends.
1. The thing I’m most looking forward to though is seeing the look on Jane’s face when she finishes. I know she will be amazed that she actually trained for and finished a half marathon, especially since the first time she ran 5 miles was back in February. I remember how thrilling it was to cross that finish line in my first really big race and I hope I can share in that feeling with her. She’s going to do awesome on Sunday and I know Annemarie and I will love being with her as she crosses that finish line.
So wish all three of us luck. I hope this race is as fun as I think it will be!